Hey guys, I got a special treat this week for you. I have been scouring the internet and I came across Kilian Martin’s videos on YouTube. I was so impressed with his style of skating that I knew I would have to ask for an interview for a look into a method to his madness. Fortunalty Kilian was nice enough to take the time out of his day to have a quick chat. Below are some questions and answers to what really makes Kilian tick.
- How old are you and when did you first start skating?
- I started when I was 16. Before that I did gymnastics for a few years.
- In your movies, “A Skate Illustration” and “A Skate Regeneration” you seem to like to do a lot of flatland and street skating. Have you ever tried or had an interest in vert?
- I like flatland mixed in with street because it still gives a lot of room to be original while using the environment around me. Freedom. I like all forms of skateboarding but I prefer to focus on what I like the most.
- Since your style is so unique, how did you originally start out skateboarding?(I.E Street, Vert, flatland, etc.)
- I started doing miniramp and street. After a few months I started dedicating some hours to skate flatland. Then I tried to gather all the influences I had in the past and put them into my skating.
- It’s refreshing to see another skater out there who isn’t just doing your run of the mill heel-flip into 50-50. What gets you inspired to try new tricks or even invent your own style?
- Thanks. I used to watch skate videos and be attracted mostly for anything original I could find on it.
I don’t know. It just feels good to do something that came out from your own imagination. That’s one of the things that keeps me going.
- Do you listen to music while you skate? If so, what type?
- I do once in a while. I like to listen to Punk rock. Sometimes I need to take music breaks to concentrate on a trick.
- Do you have any other hobbies besides skateboarding?
- I like to collect records, memorabilia from my fav movies, surfing…
- Who would you say inspired you the most?
- Rudy Ruettiger from the movie RUDY and Daniel Larusso in the movie Karate Kid. Its just hard to say, anyone fighting hard to get what they want is a big inspiration to me.
- Any advice to up and coming skaters?
- Be an original and HAVE FUN! Skateboarding is Skateboarding.
Be sure to check out Kilian’s videos after the break. Trust me you will NOT be disappointed.
Thanks for viewing!